Thursday, April 7, 2011

Are you in or out of the Broom Closet?


Do others (beyond the computer screen) know what you believe and practice? Or is this something, for whatever reason, which you need to keep hidden? Feel free to elaborate, if you like, about why you are still in, or what it was like 'coming out of the closet' to your closest family and friends.

I decided to do another blog entry this afternoon.  The muses just have me going.

I am “out” to some of my family and all of my friends.  

Most of my friends are Pagan.  In fact one friend in particular is responsible for introducing me to the craft by taking me to the local spiritual retreat 4 years ago.  I am out to my mom who thinks it is really cool and doesn’t care as long as I am true to myself.  I don’t know if my father completely knows, if he does he doesn’t say anything about it, neither does my step mom.  I know they respect my decisions I make in my life.  My grandparents are the same way.  I don’t think it is really important at this stage of their lives to worry about my spiritual path as long I am happy they are happy.  

I don’t keep my beliefs ‘hidden’, how do you hide an herb garden contained in a 5 foot diameter pentagram of white stone.  I proudly wear a pentagram, outside my shirt thank you.   If I could get away with it I would put bumper stickers on the car but my partner would kill me.  I do stop short of wearing my cloak out when it is cold though.  While it is a nice green cloak, they just haven’t come back in style yet.  

So I guess you could say that I am ‘out of the broom closet’ even though I have never actually been in to begin with.  Now the other closet is whole ‘nother Oprah.  That is a topic for a later date.

Blessed Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment