Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 1: What is your witchy background?


2004

This is when it all began, at least as far as my active studying is concerned. I was visiting a big box bookstore in a local mall and I was perusing the new age section. I always found myself drawn to that section of any bookstore and library. I saw all the common books by Cunningham, Starhawk, and Buckland but the one that drew my attention was the Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard by Oberon Zell-Ravenheart. It took me a couple visits to finally get the nerve up to buy the book but that is what fanned the flames of the already burning fire inside me.

I read the book completely and decided to enroll in the online school. The experience I had while working with the school was great. I learned a lot and made some good friends but as time went on I began to realize that I was missing something. I left the online study and set out to find what I was missing.




2005


 I found it!

After a couple months of reading articles and stories on the internet I found that the path I was on with the Grey School of Wizardry was only a transition path which leads me to my current path as a Pagan, Witch, and Wiccan. I began to do more research on what it meant to be a Pagan, a Witch and Wiccan. At first I was overwhelmed.  

“What book do I get?” “Which author is right and which is wrong?” “Which book is right for me?” These are all questions that I had while I began to explore my path.  

I finally realized that what I did was up to me and all the books I read were just for information and advice and that I needed to take them as such. By this time I had accumulated a few books and had managed to gather some nice items for a basic altar. I began to do some small rituals for the moons and even a couple Sabbats. I also began to assemble a Book of Shadows, although it was very elementary and didn’t survive much past its creation.

I was still learning and for some time I followed the Egyptian pantheon, doing rituals to Isis and Osiris for different things. I continued down this path for some time before a fork appeared and I had to make a choice on how I would continue my spirituality. The new path leads away from the pantheon I was working with and my solitary practice. The new path led to me finding a local coven. I also found that I was being drawn to a goddess that I had no information about, and a god that I was familiar with but I had never approached.

Hecate was speaking to me, actually calling and well…shouting. I didn’t realize it until someone in coven had mentioned something about her. After that I sought Hecate in meditation and found her waiting patiently for me. I have honored her ever since. The god I honor is Cernunnos, the Lord Hunter.

Today I am happily a member of a great coven and the path before me may be steep and winding at times but it is my path that I chose to follow, bumps and all.

2 comments:

  1. I truly believe all paths of spiritual growth and awareness are steep and winding, but oh so worth it.

    when I was younger I HAD to go to Egypt - it was something that was calling me from a very young age - I did actually get to go - now that is story I will need to blog about LOL

    I am also drawn to the Goddess Hecate - she is very empowering.

    Reading your post, reminds I should write a blog post about how it all began - I was drawn to wicca at age 13 and a winding path it has been indeed - I'll be 56 yrs young this month - Oct 30th - and still wiccan down to my bones but also so much more and still expanding, learning, and exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing. I will add a link to your post on the blog so others can check it out.

    Blessed Be

    ReplyDelete